Caprese Grilled Cheese SandwichFrom aluminum_chef 4 years ago
- 4 thin slices challah bread (or any bread you'd like - you want fairly thin slices so the cheese melts and the sandwich is heated through) shopping list
- 3 balls bocconcini cheese, sliced shopping list
- small handful fresh leaves basil, chopped shopping list
- 2 slices red onion shopping list
- 1 medium tomato, sliced shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar shopping list
- butter (for buttering the bread) shopping list
How to make it
- Place the tomatoes, red onion and cheese on a plate. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over and drizzle some balsamic over everything.
- Optional Step: if you like very strong onion flavour, then you can keep them raw and skip to the next step. If you prefer a more mild flavour, lightly saute the onions at this point (and if you want to add in some sliced mushrooms, you can saute those with the onions).
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Layer the sandwich with the bread (butter-side down), then cheese, then onions, chopped basil, tomatoes and then the other slice of bread (butter side up).
- Grill either in a hot pan or a panini grill (flip half way if using a pan) until bread is golden brown on each side and cheese has melted.