alton browns Frozen Blueberry PieFrom peetabear 4 years ago
- 20 ounces blueberries, approximately 4 cups shopping list
- 4 ounces sugar, approximately 1/2 cup shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1 1/4 ounces tapioca flour, approximately 5 tablespoons shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon orange zest shopping list
- 2 (9-inch) store-bought pie doughs or( homemade) shopping list
- 1 egg yolk whisked with 1 teaspoon water shopping list
How to make it
- Wash the berries and pat dry. Mash up half of the blueberries in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt and tapioca flour. Add the mashed blueberries, orange juice and orange zest and stir to combine. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes. Fold in the whole berries.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with aluminum foil. Place the blueberry mixture into the foil and place in the freezer until solid, approximately 6 to 8 hours.
- Once the filling is frozen, remove from the aluminum foil and wrap in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag for up to 3 months
- TO BAKE
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Unroll first piece of dough and place into a 9-inch pie pan, making sure the dough reaches to the lip of the pie pan. Trim excess, if necessary. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork
- Remove the frozen pie filling from the freezer and place into the prepared dough in the pan. Lightly brush the edge of the crust with the egg yolk.
- either use a full top crust or a lattice crust... seal edges
- Place on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes. The pie should be bubbling lightly around the edges. If the lattice is not browned enough in the center, place under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place the pie on a rack and allow to cool to room temperature before serving, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.