Shepherds PieFrom furbabies3 9 years ago
- 1 recipe mashed potatoes (with some set aside for topping) shopping list
- 1 large sweet onion shopping list
- 1 can portabella mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, browned & drained shopping list
- 1 can green peas, drained shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups red wine shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil (or dried if you can't find fresh) shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar shopping list
- garlic to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Caramelize onions in a large skillet. Lower heat and add garlic and stir for about a minute.
- Add butter and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add wine (beef, chicken or vegetable stock can be substituted) and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Brown ground beef & drain.
- Using your fingers, press mashed potatoes into the bottom and up the sides of a 8" x 12" dish, saving some aside for topping.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into dish, then peas, then beef.
- Carefully cover the top with additional mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until top begins to brown.