Potatoe Gnocchi -Johns WayFrom jjals 4 years ago
- 6 IDAHO POTATO'S--( OR 4 IDAHO,AND 2 SWEET POTATO,) IF YOU LIKE A NICE COLOR AND A SLIGHTLY SWEET TASTE. ( I ALWAYS USE THE sweet potatoes ) shopping list
- 1 TSP. salt shopping list
- ¼ TSP OF WHITE ground pepper shopping list
- 2 eggs BEATEN shopping list
- 3 TO 4 CUPS OF flour (( I USE 1 1\2 CUP OF DURUM, AND 1 1\2 CUP OF ITALIAN flour.)) (( I ALSO MAKE THIS WITH ONE CUP OF chestnut, AND 2 CUPS OF ITALIAN flour-WITCH YOU CAN GET FROM KING ARTHUR flour CO ON LINE - ALSO SOME SUPER MARKETS CARRY IT - AND SO DOES TRADER JOE) ITS THE BEST flour IN THIS COUNTRY ( MY OPINON ) shopping list
- 1/4 CUP OFGRADED parmigiano cheese. shopping list
- ( IF USING SWEET POTATOE-- ADD A GOOD DASH OF nutmeg,) shopping list
How to make it
- Gnocchi can be made up to 48 hours ahead. Before cooking the gnocchi, set up ice bath with 6 cups ice and 6 cups water. As the gnocchi cook and are floating in the boiling water, remove them with a spider or skimmer and place them into the to ice bath. Let sit several minutes in bath and drain from ice and water. Toss with 1/2-cup canola oil and store covered in refrigerator up to 48 hours until ready to serve.
- BAKE THE POTATOS AT 375 TILL DONE ABOUT AN HOUR--WHEN COOL ENOUGH TO HANDLE REMOVE SKINS PUT IN A RICER, AND SPREAD THEM OVER A LARGER TABLE TO DRY OUT FOR A HOUR OR TWO ,(THE DRYER THE BETTER).
- GATHER UP THE POTATO'S MAKE A MOUND WITH A WELL IN THE MIDDLE--BEAT THE EGG'S WELL,--
- ADD THE SALT AND PEPPER,--POUR THE MIXTURE INTO THE WELL ,AND WITH YOUR HANDS MIX THE EGG MIXTURE INTO THE POTATO 'S ADDING A LITTLE FLOUR AT A TIME UNTIL IT'S ALL INCORPORATED INTO THE POTATO MIXTURE,YOU MAY NOT USE ALL THE FLOUR AND THATS OK -WORK FAST THIS SHOULD NOT TAKE MORE THAN 10 MIN OR THE GNOCCHI WILL BECOME HEAVY IF YOU OVER KNEED IT ) SHAPE THE DOUGH INTO AN OVAL MOUND AND CUT INTO 6 EQUAL PARTS,--TAKING ONE PART AT A TIME WITH FLOURED HANDS ROLL DOUGH INTO A LONG ROPE ABOUT 1\2 INCH ROUND,--THEN CUT AT 1\2 INCH INTERVALS-CONTINUE THIS UNTIL ALL THE DOUGH IS USED UP,--PUT THE GNOCCHI IN A POT OF BOILING WATER AND COOK UNTIL THEY FLOAT TO THE TOP ( ABOUT 3 OR 4 IN) WHEN ALL ARE DONE, SERVE WITH YOUR FAVORITE SAUCE. THIS IS GOOD WITH JUST A PLAIN MARINARA SAUCE –SO YOU CAN SAVOR THE GNOCCHI WITHOUT DISTRACTIONS
The Cookjjals Lake Havasu City, AZ
- Not added to any groups yet!