Shrimp EtouffeeFrom hot_it_up 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-size fresh head on shrimp(If you are going to make a stock) Regular devained uncooked shrimp if not. shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- 2 cups onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 Tbsp margarine shopping list
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper shopping list
- 8 oz clam juice(or shrimp stock) shopping list
- 6 cups hot cooked rice shopping list
How to make it
- If you are going to make a shrimp stock, save the heads and shells from the shrimp. Save the remains from chopping the onion, bell pepper and celery. Put these along with the shrimp parts in a medium stock pot.
- add 2 cups of water simmer for on1/2 hour covered. remove cover and reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper. This was not added to prep time. you also need to strain this'
- After you have done that or have clean shrimp, melt butter in a heavy saucepan placed over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl. Melt margarine in pan over medium heat then stir in flour. Cook 7 minutes or until very brown, stirring constantly. Gradually add water, blending with a wire whisk. Stir in vegetable mixture, salt, pepper, red pepper, and stock or clam juice. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add shrimp and cook an additional 10 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- In the meantime, cook rice so it finishes about the same time the shrimp mixture does. Serve shrimp etouffee over rice and garnish with parsley sprig.
The Cookhot_it_up Columbiana, AL
The Rating4 people
Yummy.....debbie919 in Manahawkin loved it
"5"FORK!!!!! "SHRIMPELICIOUS" (^_^)
Thanks for sharing!~*~mj~*~mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Great recipe and very authentic!
High 5 to you!
Valerievalinkenmore in Malott loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!