Italian BreadFrom sous_chefjohn 5 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 475F
- combine water and yeast in mixer fitted with dough hook.
- add honey or malt stir with spoon to dissolve.
- add salt and flour.
- mix on low speed 1.5 minutes
- mix on medium 10 minutes.
- * check using windowpane test*
- * for windowpane: twist off a small piece of dough, spread using fingers ( like a pizza) until it makes a 2 inch membrane without tearing, if it tears before you can do this mix for 3-5 more minutes and test again.*
- put dough in oiled bowl cover and rise until doubled
- punch down by lifting the sides of the dough and pushing into the middle of the ball. flip over and cover. rise until doubled again.
- punch down using same technique as before.
- when doubled punch down and divide into two equal pieces.
- roll into desired shape( baguette, torpedo, rounds)
- rise on a baking pan lined with parchment paper and dusted with semolina or fine cornmeal.
- when almost doubled ,slash the bead using a sharp serrated knife or razor blade.
- let rise until fully doubled.brush loaves with water or use spray bottle.
- put a small pan or dish of water in the oven to provide steam.
- put loaves in oven
- Bake with the water in the oven for the first 15 minutes* you can also spray the side of the oven three times during the first 15 minutes*
- Remove the water dish
- Rotate the bread 180 degrees
- turn oven down to 425F continue to bake for 25-30 minutes
- test for doneness by thumping the bottom , it should sound hollow when done.
- I have made this countless times for the restaurants I worked at. but not at home so cooking times may be longer as I used an industrial convection oven.
- This bread is also great for wood fired hearth ovens.
The Cooksous_chefjohn North Conway, NH
- Not added to any groups yet!