Beet Apple CakeFrom vendela 5 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soada shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1 cup beet apple puree (recipie below) shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cherry or almond extract (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Beet Apple Puree:
- Place 2 peeled, chopped beets and 2 peeled, cored and chopped apples in a sacuepan with just enough water to cover (a few pieces will float). top with lid and bring to a boil. Simmer until a fork easily pierces beets, about 15 minutes.
- Drain well. Puree beets and apples in a food processor. Cool to room temperature before adding to cake batter. Recipe yields more puree than you will need, so freeze leftovers for another time.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and 8 in square pan or line to with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk measured flowur with baking soada, baking powder, and salt.
- Place butter in another large bowl. Using an electric mixer, gradually beat in sugar unti fulffy.
- Beat in eggs, beet appke purdd, vanilla and cher (or almond) extracts. The mixture may look curdled but that is OK
- Gradually beat flouur mixure into beet apple mixture. Continue beating another minute on meduim speed utnil smooth. Scrape batter in to prepared pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips (if using) evenly over top and gently press down into batter, hidding chips to prevent them from melting
- Bake 45-50 minutes on middle rack or unitl toothpick instered in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan, peeling off parchment paper (if using). Allow to cool completely before slicing into squares.
- Makes 1 cake, about 16 squares
- in a serving: 1616 calories, 1.9 g protien, 6.5g fat