Creamy Smoked Fish PieFrom normafrazer 5 years ago
- 2lb smoked fish(any good quality,but I use haddock when I can get it) shopping list
- 1 pt milk plus 1/2 pt cream shopping list
- 4 oz butter(less if your health concious) shopping list
- 2-3 oz gouda or gruyere cheese shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 oz flour shopping list
- 2 hard boiled eggs shopping list
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice-approx( optional) shopping list
- seasoning to taste. shopping list
- potatoe topping shopping list
- 2-3lb cooked potatoes mashed with milk and butter to a soft consistency shopping list
- add a little grated numeg and at last minute 1/2 teaspoon baking powder(this make the topping light and fluffy) shopping list
- a generous amount of strong cheese(I use Tasty) for the topping shopping list
How to make it
- Poach the fish very gently in half the milk(a little more if neccesary)with bayleaf and allow to cool in the milk.Skin the fish and arrange in the base of a casserole dish or baking dish(approx 3pt capacity) with chopped hard boiled eggs
- Make a rue by melting the butter in a heavy based saucepan and stirring in the flour, gradually add the "fish liquid"( remove the bayleaf at this point)stirring all the time then add the remaing milk and cream BIT BY BIT,stirring well after each addition (if the desired thickness is reached before all the liquid is used,make sure the cream is included in the sauce)simmer for a couple of minutes being careful not to allow the sauce to "split". Stir in theGouda / Gruyere and lastly stir in the lemon juice if using
- Pour over the fish/eggs
- Next top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake on a high shelf in the oven at 400* F (200*C) for about 30 minutes or until the pie is heated through and the top n icely browned
The Cooknormafrazer Auckland
The Rating4 people
"5"FORK!!!!! for a great sounding recipe
and one I have not seen on this site before~
I think that my Family will like it~
I will be sure to add the 'baking powder'
at the end~I have never done this before
for a...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Goody!!! high 5cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
Oh my goodness... I agree with all the comments.
My hubby is going to be thrilled when I prepare this recipe. Thank you very much Norma for sharing your 5+++ fork recipe!!!lor in Toronto loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!