Spicy Stuffed PeppersFrom mrsc543 6 years ago
- 4 large flat-bottomed red bell peppers shopping list
- 2 tsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 8 oz lean ground beef shopping list
- 2 oz chopped toasted walnuts shopping list
- 3 tsp chili powder, mild or hot (I use more of the hot) shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins (I leave the raisins whole - personal preference) shopping list
- 10 small green olives with pimento shopping list
- 1 tsp dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2 tsp instant beef bouillon shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 2 cup cooked brown rice shopping list
How to make it
- Slice "lids" from peppers and set aside.
- Carefully remove seeds and membranes, rinse with cold water and place peppers in a baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; add onion, beef and walnuts and cook until beef is browned and onion is golden.
- Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, raisins, olives, oregano, instant bouillon and 1/2 cup water.
- Simmer 5 minutes; remove from heat, stir in rice.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spoon 1/4 rice mixture into each pepper and cover tightly with foil and bake 50 to 60 minutes until peppers can be pierced easily with a knife.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove peppers to a platter and garnish with parsley sprigs for "stems", if desired.