Black Bottom PieFrom mrsc543 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnaps shopping list
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted shopping list
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch shopping list
- 4 eggs, separated shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 2 Tbsp rum shopping list
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar shopping list
How to make it
- Blend crumbs and butter in a small saucepan.
- Press evenly over bottom and side of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake in a slow oven (300 degrees) for 5 minutes; cool; chill.
- Combine gelatin, 1/2 cup of the sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks in a large saucepan; beat until blended.
- Stir in milk until smooth. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until custard thickens.
- Blend 1 up of the custard with the chocolate and vanilla; pour into crust; chill
- Stir rum into remaining custard; chill until it begins to thicken.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar gradually until meringue forms soft peaks.
- Fold into thickened custard.
- Spoon over chocolate layer.
- Chill two hours or until firm.
- Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate curls, if desired.