Figgy Piggy Cornish HensFrom pleclare 6 years ago
- 1/2 lb bacon slices,halved shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves,thinly sliced lengthwise shopping list
- 12 thyme sprigs shopping list
- 12 fresh black and /or green figs,halved or quartered,if large shopping list
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 4 Cornish hens (about 1-1/4 lbs each) halved lengthwise shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 500 with rack in upper third.
- Cook bacon in 12" heavy skillet over med-low heat till crisp. Transfer to npaper towels to drain.
- Add garlic to skillet and cook,stirring until golden,about 1 min. Transfer to paper towels with bacon.
- Pat hens dry and season with 1-1/4 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp pepper. Heat fat in skillet over med-high heat until it begins to smoke. Brown 4 hen halves ,skin side up,about 6 mins. Transfer to a large sheet pan. Brown remaining hens,transferring to sheet pan. Reserve skillet.
- Scatter thyme and figs over hens,then roast until hens are cooked through,about 15 mins. Meanwhile,deglaze skillet with lemon juice by simmering,stirring and scraping up browned bits,30 seconds.
- Pour over roast hens. Scatter bacon and garlic over the hens. Enjoy!