Italian American Spaghetti SauceFrom aravi_vel 7 years ago
- 2 large can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1 large can whole tomatoes shopping list
- 2 large can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 can tomato paste shopping list
- 4-5 fresh tomatoes shopping list
- 2 heads garlic, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2-3 large onions shopping list
- 2-3 green peppers shopping list
- 1 large celery bunch shopping list
- 4 lbs lean hamburger shopping list
- fresh mushrooms shopping list
- virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. each of basil, oregano shopping list
- pinch each of cayenne, red pepper flakes, white pepper, celery seed, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, ground sage, turmeric shopping list
- Mrs. Dash seasoning (optional) shopping list
- diced tomatoes may be substituted for whole canned tomatoes if desired. If you prefer, use 4-5 diced fresh tomatoes. shopping list
How to make it
- Cut up into small pieces - onion, pepper, celery, break apart garlic and press each with spoon then peel.
- Combine all including spices in large skillet, add olive oil.
- Simmer until all are tender. Strain if necessary.
- Place into large sauce pot on low heat. Add diced, crushed, sauce, and whole tomatoes.
- Brown hamburger, make some meatballs if you like and brown as well. Drain meat and add to sauce pot.
- Turn up heat and simmer just below boil one hour.
- Turn heat down to low.
- Let heat for several hours, house will smell great!
- If you made meatballs wait until one half hour before serving to add to mixture, also add mushrooms at this time.
- Note: Add desired seasonings, as little or as much as you like. If this is the first time you're making spaghetti sauce, go lightly on the seasoning, since less can be better when you haven't yet developed a taste for herbs. One trick is to add a small amount of seasonings at the start, and another few pinches near the end of cooking in order to develop several "layers" of flavor. This sauce can be improved if you substitute fresh basil and oregano leaves when they can be found in season. Taste sauce and add small amounts of red wine, wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar if too tart and the sauce needs a bit of sweetening.
The Cookaravi_vel Bangalore, India
- Not added to any groups yet!