Old-Fashioned Hot ChocolateFrom cuzpat 6 years ago
- 2 cups whole milk shopping list
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into pieces shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened, dutch process cocoa powder shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups coffee, hot shopping list
- 1 cup light cream shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. pure almond extract shopping list
- fresh whipped cream shopping list
How to make it
- Combine milk and the chocolate pieces in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan over moderate heat. While stirring constantly with a wire whisk, heat the mixture until the chocolate is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, and cocoa powder. Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the hot coffee and the light cream. Simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cocoa from the heat, add the almond extract and serve immediately.
- For an extra treat add a dollop of fresh whipped cream or a marshmallow. If you dare, add a little black pepper to taste.