Judys Onion Mushroom Pancetta QuicheFrom linda2230 6 years ago
- 1 recipe savory pie crust for a 9 or 10 inch pie pan shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion shopping list
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion shopping list
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, white parts only shopping list
- 6 ounces diced pancetta or ham shopping list
- 8 ounces thinly sliced button mushrooms, or in my case I mixed the white button mushrooms with morels. shopping list
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic shopping list
- 1 teaspoons salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup half & half or heavy cream shopping list
- 6 large eggs shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1 1/2 ozs grated gruyere, plus 1 1/2 ozs shopping list
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes if you like the heat :o) shopping list
- NOTE: The time for prep is depend on whether you make your own pie crust or use your favorite store-bought pie crust. I did not make my own pie crust this time because I had one in my freezer that I used. You can also vary the mushrooms as well depending on your taste :o) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If you made your own pie crust roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured surface to fit a deep 9 or 10-inch pie pan. Place the pastry in the pie pan and crimp edges decoratively. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, then line with aluminum foil. Fill with pie weights and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges. If you are using a premade unbaked pie crust in a foiled pie tin, bake according to the directions on the lable. The type that I used, I still needed to cover the unbaked pie crust with foil and fill with pie weights and bake accordingly. Remove foil and pie weights, and return to the oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and place crust on a wire rack to cool.
- Set a 12-inch sauté pan over medium heat, and add the butter and olive oil and once the butter is melted, add the yellow onions, red onions, and leeks to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and leeks are wilted, and lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the pancetta or ham, mushrooms, thyme, and garlic to the pan and season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Cook the onions, pancetta or ham and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture has cooked out of the mushrooms and they are caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the onions, pancetta or ham and mushrooms to cool for 10 minutes before placing in the pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, combine the half and half or heavy cream, eggs, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the nutmeg and whisk until just combined. Stir 1 1/2 ounces of the grated cheese, then pour the cream mixture over the onion mixture, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over top. Place the pie tin on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake until golden brown, and the custard has set, 35 to 40 minutes. Be sure to rotate the sheet pan after 15 to 20 minutes to ensure even browning.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cooklinda2230 Las Vegas, NV
The Rating7 people
Great recipe! Wonderful Pictures!tuilelaith in Columbia loved it