Almond - Zucchini BabkaFrom jo_jo_ba 4 years ago
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, warmed shopping list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp active dry yeast shopping list
- 4 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- Zest of 1 orange shopping list
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 12 oz shredded zucchini, squeezed dry (about 2 cups or 2 medium) shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 Cup Earth Balance (or other vegan) margarine, cubed, room temperature shopping list
- --Filling-- shopping list
- 3/4 cup almond butter, warmed until very runny shopping list
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance (or other vegan) margarine, melted shopping list
- 3 oz miniature, bittersweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 3 oz dried cranberries shopping list
- 2 tbsp ground almonds shopping list
- 1 tbsp cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer), combine almond milk and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the yeast overtop and let stand 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Combine flours, nutmeg, sugar, orange zest, flaxseeds and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To the foamed yeast mixture, add the zucchini and vanilla, stirring well.
- Add 3 cups of the dry mixture to the bowl and begin mixing (on low speed), until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Add in remaining dry mixture, and allow the mixer to begin kneading the dough.
- Continue working the dough with the dough hook, slowly beating in margarine cubes one at a time. It should become very shiny and soft.
- Continue kneading for 10 minutes.
- Turn into an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in volume.
- Lightly grease two loaf pans, set aside.
- Punch down the dough, divide in half and roll one portion out into a rectangle on a (very) well-floured surface. Roll it out lengthwise as far as possible- The longer the dough, the more spirals you will get in the finished bread.
- Beat together the almond butter and Earth Balance in a small bowl until very fluid.
- Spread the rectangle with half the almond butter, leaving 1/2" on one long side clear.
- Mix together the chocolate chips, cranberries, ground almonds and cinnamon, then sprinkle half evenly over the dough.
- Starting with the long edge that is completely covered, roll up the dough as tightly as possible.
- Arrange the log with the two ends next to each other (like a squashed horse shoe), then twist together.
- Carefully fit the twist into one pan.
- Repeat with the remaining half of the ingredients.
- Cover and let rise 1 hour, until just about doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, until golden and hollow sounding when tapped.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
The Rating1 people
really looks and sounds wonderful!midgelet in Eastern loved it