Old-Fashioned Hot Dog Pepper RelishFrom hungrybear 4 years ago
- 3 cups seeded and coarsely chopped bell peppers (use a mixture of yellow, green, and red) shopping list
- 4 cups coarsely chopped white onions (about 5 medium onions) shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped green cabbage shopping list
- boiling water to cover shopping list
- 1/2 cup 5% white vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups 5% cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 tsp. peeled, minced fresh ginger shopping list
- 4 cloves minced fresh garlic shopping list
- 4 seeded jalapeño peppers, minced (the hottest you can find) shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. mustard seeds shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. celery seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp. whole allspice shopping list
- 1 tsp. dried chilli pepper flakes shopping list
How to make it
- Place chopped bell peppers, onions, and cabbage in large stainless steel or heat-resistant glass bowl and add enough hot water to cover. Let mixture stand for 15 minutes then drain and return to bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup white vinegar with 1/2 cup water. Heat mixture to boiling and pour over drained vegetables. Let mixture stand for 15 minutes and drain again.
- Place drained vegetables in stainless steel pot, large enough to hold all of the ingredients, then add remaining ingredients and bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 30 seconds, then remove mixture from heat.
- Pour mixture into clean, hot, 1-pint canning jars and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes to seal the jars. Let relish mellow for 1 month in a cool dark place before serving.
- Once opened, store tightly closed jar in refrigerator.
The Cookhungrybear Miner, MO
The Rating4 people
I've never been that fond of hot dog relish, but THIS may well just change my mind!!!
:+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it
good postpeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
Boy this is neat!! my kind of relish! high 5cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!