Dressed - Up Bacon Mac And CheeseFrom tuilelaith 7 years ago
- unsalted butter, for greasing shopping list
- 8 ounces macaroni shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk shopping list
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, coarsely grated shopping list
- 4 ounces aged asiago cheese, coarsely grated shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped shopping list
- 3 slices white sandwich bread, torn into small pieces shopping list
- 3 strips bacon shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 2-quart shallow casserole dish.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the macaroni until al dente, about 5 minutes.
- Drain; transfer the pasta to the prepared casserole dish along with 1/4 cup of the cold milk.
- (This will cool the pasta and prevent it from becoming gummy.)
- Meanwhile, mix the cheeses together in a small bowl.
- Beat the eggs with 1/4 cup of the milk in a medium bowl.
- Add the scallions, bread and half of the cheese to the egg mixture; set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until just brown, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon salt; cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the remaining 1 3/4 cups milk and 3/4 cup water to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil, whisking until thick.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk to cool slightly.
- Whisk in the remaining cheese.
- Add the sauce to the macaroni; stir to combine.
- Crumble up the bacon and add it to the egg/bread mixture.
- Spread evenly over the pasta.
- Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Photograph by Tina Rupp
People Who Like This Dish 4
The Cooktuilelaith Columbia, MO
The Rating7 people
This really does sound great! And I hope you feel better soon...take good care! ^5
Debdebbie919 in Manahawkin loved it
Greathungrybear in Miner loved it
Saw the word dressed - up and thought ! wow! pasta porn and Mac getting cheesy! LOL!!!
great recipes! love it! five forksgoodeat in Benton loved it