Grandmas Oxtail StewFrom artist92543 6 years ago
- 3 tbsp oil shopping list
- 1 onion chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 3 tbsp butter shopping list
- 3 tbsp flour shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1 quart beef stock shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1/2 tspn dried tyme shopping list
- 1/2 tspn black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tspn cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2 lbs potatoes, quartered shopping list
- 2 cups carrots chopped shopping list
- 1 cup cellery, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- In a 6 quart or larger dutch oven brown oxtail pieces well over med heat in 3 tbsp oil. Do not crown pot. Do in batches if need be. Deep browning at this stage is key to the flavor of the whole recipe. Remove oxtails and set aside.
- Add onions and 1/2 tspn salt. Stir borwned bits up into onions durring this stage, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add 2 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp flour and stir to make a roux. Cook the roux, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, so there is a slight color on the roux.
- Add 2 tbsp of tomato paste, stir into roux for about 2 minutes
- Add oxtails
- Add beef stock enough to barely cover oxtails, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tspn each dried tyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and 1 tspn salt.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 4 - 5 hours. If oxtail pieces are large you may have to simmer for 6 hours or more until they become tender
- Durring the last hour add potatos and carrots, and cellery
- Adjust for salt , etc.
- Turn off heat and add 1/2 cup chopped parsely
- Serve over pasta, rice, polenta, or by its self