Mocha Creme BruleeFrom davik 5 years ago
How to make it
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat the creme, chocolate, and coffee beans in the top of a double boiler while mixing with a whisk to combine. Continue to heat the double boiler (without boiling the cream) until the coffee flavor has been introduced.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light.
- Slowly pour the cream in to the egg yolks, whisking continuously to prevent cooking the yolks.
- Whisk in the vanilla.
- Strain the mixture to remove the coffee grounds before pouring in to ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in to a pan and pour hot water around the ramekins to about half way up their sides.
- Bake these until a knife inserted in the center of the custard comes out almost clean (there should be some custard on it, but metal should be visible). This takes ~40 minutes, depending on oven and ramekin size.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before refrigerating for at least 3 hours.
- To serve, apply a thin layer of brown sugar to the top and caramelize with a cooking torch; this can be done under a broiler, but the results will be inferior. Alternatively judicious application of a workshop propane torch could also work.