German Sauerkraut and Rye Bread StuffingFrom cuzpat 4 years ago
- use a greased 13 X 9 glass baking dish or similar, or stuff a bird with this. shopping list
- 2 quarts of bread cubes of rye or pumpernickel bread shopping list
- 1 cups chopped onions shopping list
- 3 slices bacon chopped shopping list
- 1 stick butter shopping list
- 1 cup of chopped celery shopping list
- 1 cup of chopped turnips shopping list
- 1 cup chopped apples shopping list
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning shopping list
- 1 cup of sauerkraut (drained ) shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup milk to moisten shopping list
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Toast the bread cubes on a pan till dried out. (this just keeps the bread cubes from getting mushy. Place in a large mixing bowl .
- Saute the bacon and onions till the onions are wilted. Add the rest of the vegetables and the poultry seasoning and cook until soft. Toss the sauteed vegetables with the bread cubes and let cool for a minute. Add the sauerkraut.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs and milk, salt, pepper and chicken stock together. You can use bouillon or canned, and toss this with the bread cube vegetable mixture.
- Spread out into the baking pan or stuff the bird and bake covered about 30 minutes at 350 degrees . Remove the covering and bake an additional 15 minutes to brown and till the temperature reads about 160 degrees.
The Cookcuzpat Sikeston, Mo
The Rating4 people
Good post! Five.mrsc543 in North Reading loved it
Love Sauerkraut and Rye braed.
EDspinach1948 in Dorchester-Boston loved it
OH yay!!! What a blissful sounding dish a must have for these cold winter nights I'm gonna make mine with pork tenderloin HIGH FIVE:)snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!