Cream Of Potato Cheddar SoupFrom lagoulue 4 years ago
- 6 large potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (do not peel) shopping list
- 2 cups water (from potatoes -- see below) shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped pretty fine shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried basil shopping list
- 1 tsp dried herbes de provence shopping list
- 4 cups whole or 2% milk shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted shopping list
- 4 Tbsp. flour shopping list
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste; paprika is nice, too. (So is turmeric, my new favorite spice - try it!) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cover cubed potatoes with water and boil until fork-tender. Drain all but 2 cups water; reserve the 2 cups cooking water and add back to potatoes.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and herbs to potatoes. At this point, decide what texture you want for your soup. If you want a smooth puree, mash all of the potatoes; if you want a very thick creamy soup, mash 1/2 of the potatoes; if you want a chunky stew, mash just 1 cup of the potatoes.
- In a bowl, mix together the milk, flour, salt & pepper. Mix well, no lumps.
- Add melted butter to milk mixture. Pour into potatoes and mix well
- Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly; add grated cheese; reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
The Cooklagoulue New York, NY
The Rating4 people
Sounds so creamy, yum!a1patti in Salem loved it
saved this one!
Joymariemystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Delicious!! But be careful not to over spice it.ARosenthal8 in Bradenton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!