FWC ChimichangasFrom hungrybear 6 years ago
- 2 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 (3 pound) chuck or pork roast shopping list
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained shopping list
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes with juice shopping list
- 1/2 package Goldwater's chili Mix shopping list
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic shopping list
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh onion shopping list
- 3/4 tablespoon fresh cilantro shopping list
- 1/3 teaspoon ground red pepper shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered Mexican oregano shopping list
- 12 medium flour tortillas shopping list
- 1 pound grated longhorn cheese shopping list
- 1 pound grated monterey jack cheese shopping list
- garlic salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- oil (for deep frying) shopping list
- Shredded lettuce shopping list
- sour cream shopping list
- guacamole shopping list
- salsa, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Wrap meat in foil and bake at 250 degrees F to 300 degrees F for 2 hours, adding a little water if needed. Cool until fat solidifies; skim. Shred meat and retain 3/4 cup of the meat juices. Combine meat and juices in large fry pan and add chiles, tomatoes, Goldwater's Chili Mix and remaining spices. Cook slowly until moisture is gone, about 30 minutes.
- To assemble chimis, place 2 tablespoons longhorn cheese on each tortilla. Top with 2 to 3 tablespoons meat mixture. Add 2 tablespoons Monterey jack cheese. Season with garlic salt and pepper. Fold all sides in and secure with wooden picks to make a square. Deep fry in 1 inch hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Top with remaining cheese.
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce, topped with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
The Cookhungrybear Miner, MO
The Rating5 people
HIGH FIVE FORKS!!! My favorite line in "Meet the Fockers" is "I love Chimichangas" By Dustin Hoffman:)snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
What a great sounding recipe!joe1155 in Munchen loved it
good good good....fivepeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!