Gluten-Free Apple sausage StuffingFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- 1 pound gluten-free sausage, diced shopping list
- or crumbled shopping list
- ¼ cup olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium leeks, sliced (white and pale shopping list
- green parts only) shopping list
- 2 medium tart green apples (Granny shopping list
- Smith), peeled, cored, chopped shopping list
- 1½ cups chopped celery with leaves shopping list
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning shopping list
- 2 teaspoons chopped dried rosemary shopping list
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 10 cups gluten-free, dairy-free bread,* crust removed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes, toasted shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 3 eggs, optional (if eggs are omitted, add ½ cup additional liquid) shopping list
- 1 to 1½ cups gluten-free chicken broth shopping list
- ¾ cup chestnut or walnut pieces, toasted, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Brown sausage in a skillet and transfer to a large bowl. Drain excess grease from pan.
- In the same skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks, apples, celery, carrots and poultry seasoning. Sauté until leeks and carrots soften, about 4 to 6 minutes. Pour into the bowl with the cooked sausage and blend ingredients.
- Add rosemary, parsley and toasted bread cubes to sausage mixture. Stir gently to combine. Season stuffing to taste with salt and pepper. (This recipe can be prepared a day ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Beat eggs with 1 cup chicken broth. Add mixture to stuffing and toss. Add chestnuts, if using. Stuffing should be moist but not wet. If it’s too dry, add more broth. Check seasonings by browning a spoonful of stuffing in a skillet or heating it in the microwave until cooked. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Divide the stuffing into two portions. Cook one portion in the turkey, if desired.
- Place remaining stuffing in a lightly oiled baking dish and cover with oiled foil. Bake alongside the stuffed bird about 45 to 60 minutes (in 325-degree oven). Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes until stuffing is golden brown on top.
- *Tip: Ten cups is roughly equivalent to 1 large loaf of bread. Toast the cubes in a 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes.
- Each serving contains 311 calories, 15g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 58 mg cholesterol, 36g carbohydrate, 335mg sodium, 2g fiber, 9g protein.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating5 people
again!-------YUM! high 5cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
HIGH FIVE FORKS!!! Will make for Turkey Day!!! Thanks Peeta:)snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
Good onehungrybear in Miner loved it