SPICED CARIBBEAN CHRISTMAS CAKEFrom hungrybear 5 years ago
- 1-1/2 pound (675g) mixed dried fruit (make sure your mix has some dried cherries) shopping list
- 2/3 cup (~100g) prunes, chopped shopping list
- 2/3 cup (~100g) dried mango or papaya pieces, chopped (if you cannot find these use more mixed fruit) shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1dl) candied cherries quartered shopping list
- 3 tablespoon brandy shopping list
- 3 tablespoon port shopping list
- 3 tablespoon rum shopping list
- 4 tablespoon cherry brandy shopping list
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 1/4 cup (315g) self-rising flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) raw sugar shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 1 cup (225g) butter, softened (generous cup) shopping list
- 4 tablespoons water shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the mixed fruit, prunes, mango or papaya pieces and candied cherries in a sauce pan. Add the brandy, rum, port, cherry brandy, apple pie spice, salt, vanilla extract, and 4 T water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Set the fruit mixture aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 275 (130C). Grease and line (with parchment) a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the raw sugar, softened butter and eggs. Mix thoroughly until will combined. Gradually fold in the macerated fruit mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Do not level the surface.
- Bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours until cooked through. Place a sheet of wax paper over the cake after about 3 hours, if it appears to be browning too quickly.
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for 45 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight pan. The cake will keep for up to 1 month.
The Cookhungrybear Miner, MO
The Rating5 people
HIGH FIVE FORKS!!! I got this one:) Oh Yeah! Thanks:)snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
What a cake!!! high 5!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
Wow, this sounds great! Thanks.maureenlaw in ST LOUIS loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!