Melissa DArabians Braised PorkFrom modelsmom 7 years ago
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 6 large chunks shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 2 T olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 celery stalks, chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped shopping list
- 2 T tomato paste shopping list
- 2 T flour shopping list
- 1 c red wine shopping list
- 1.5 cups beef stock or broth shopping list
- 1 bunch parsley stems, tied with string (optional) shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Pat the pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the meat on all sides until a golden crust forms.
- Transfer the pork to a plate.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot to the pan and sweat until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sweat another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes to cook off the raw flavor and caramelize it. (If pressed for time, I have once or twice combined these last 3 steps into 1, & the results were still wonderful.)
- Whisk in the wine and reduce it by half.
- Return the pork to the dutch oven and stir in the beef broth, parsley stems, and bay leaves.
- Add the water if the liquid does not come up to the very top of the pork.
- Do not cover the pork with liquid.
- Cover the pan and place it in the oven to braise until the meat is fork-tender, about 3 hours.
- Check it during cooking to see if more liquid is needed (I learned this step the hard way!)
- Taste, and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately with pan juices drizzled on top.
The Cookmodelsmom Worcester, MA
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!