Chicken and Oyster Gumbo Christmas GumboFrom goodeat 5 years ago
- 16 chicken pieces or two whole fryers shopping list
- ½1 quart oysters, with liquid shopping list
- ½ pound fresh okra, sliced shopping list
- 2 cups celery, minced shopping list
- 2 cups onion, minced shopping list
- ½ cup green onions, minced shopping list
- 1 gallon chicken broth shopping list
- 1½ cups dark roux shopping list
- 1 tablespoon file shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Boil chicken pieces and celery in enough water to leave 1 gallon of broth. Remove chicken from broth when tender. Cool, debone and remove skin. Return to broth.
- In a large skillet combine roux, onions and okra. Cook over medium heat until tender. Add to chicken and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce head and cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Add oysters, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Check consistency of liquid; if too thin, add more roux; if too thick add broth or water.
- Turn off heat and add filet. Allow to cool, uncovered. Reheat to simmering point only. Serve over fluffy white rice.
The Cookgoodeat Benton, MO
The Rating6 people
my family will devour this high5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
OH man, this sounds really yummy!! I'll give er' a shot this weekend!! HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
Very good!!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!