Chicken and Oyster Gumbo Christmas GumboFrom goodeat 6 years ago
- 16 chicken pieces or two whole fryers shopping list
- ½1 quart oysters, with liquid shopping list
- ½ pound fresh okra, sliced shopping list
- 2 cups celery, minced shopping list
- 2 cups onion, minced shopping list
- ½ cup green onions, minced shopping list
- 1 gallon chicken broth shopping list
- 1½ cups dark roux shopping list
- 1 tablespoon file shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Boil chicken pieces and celery in enough water to leave 1 gallon of broth. Remove chicken from broth when tender. Cool, debone and remove skin. Return to broth.
- In a large skillet combine roux, onions and okra. Cook over medium heat until tender. Add to chicken and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce head and cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Add oysters, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Check consistency of liquid; if too thin, add more roux; if too thick add broth or water.
- Turn off heat and add filet. Allow to cool, uncovered. Reheat to simmering point only. Serve over fluffy white rice.
People Who Like This Dish 6
The Cookgoodeat Benton, MO
The Rating6 people
my family will devour this high5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
OH man, this sounds really yummy!! I'll give er' a shot this weekend!! HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
Very good!!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!