Seared Duck Breasts With Port And Dried Fruit SauceFrom luisascatering 7 years ago
- 2 whole duck breasts, skin on shopping list
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ shopping list
- For dried fruit-port sauce: shopping list
- 1 tsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 large shallot, sliced shopping list
- small sprig of fresh rosemary shopping list
- zest of half an orange and half a lemon shopping list
- 1 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 cup port wine shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried bing cherries shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, each sliced into 4 pieces shopping list
- 1/4 freshly squeezed orange juice shopping list
How to make it
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Decrease the heat to low and simmer until the fruit is very soft and plumped up about 30 to 45 minutes. Then increase the heat to high and simmer until the sauce thickens, 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the duck breasts on a work surface, skin side up. Using a sharp knife, score the skin in a grid pattern, going through half the thickness of the skin but not through to the meat.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet (I used my new Le Creuset cast iron pan!) over medium-high heat. Add the duck breasts, skin side down, and cook until the skin is golden and the fat from the skin has rendered, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn the duck breasts over, season with salt and pepper, and transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook until the duck breasts are medium-rare, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, remove the duck, cover it with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. In the meantime, warm the sauce.
- To serve, place each duck breast on each plate and spoon the warm sauce over the top.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating4 people
Oh, groan, that sauce looks heavenly. You spoil me with so many good recipes. I know, you just want me to put on weight when I work so hard to keep it off. Thanks for this delicious one and a 5 from me.tablescape in loved it
I love all recipes you post, very gourmet, very much like my style. Thank you for sharing another great one. Beautiful photo! 5 forksgourmetana in London loved it