Creamy Southern Style Blackeyed Peas with hamFrom dmajor 7 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 medium or large ham bone or hock (I save my ham bone from Christmas and use that) shopping list
- 1 cup onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves chopped garlic shopping list
- 1 pound black-eyed peas shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 5 cups chicken stock shopping list
- salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste shopping list
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon creole spice shopping list
- hot sauce to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in large soup pot.
- Add onions, celery, garlic, and bell pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes over low/med heat.
- Add ham bone or hock (if using a hock, sear on all sides for a few minutes(about 3 minutes).
- Add the black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaf, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the peas are tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Stir in butter and garnish with green onions before serving.
- Serve over hot cooked rice with hot sauce on the side.