Red Beef and Pumpkin CurryFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil shopping list
- 350 g (12 oz) rump steak, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (or to taste) shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed shopping list
- 375 ml (14 oz) can light coconut milk or light and creamy coconut flavoured evaporated milk shopping list
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) pumpkin, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks shopping list
- 120 g (4 oz) green beans, trimmed, sliced in half shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce shopping list
- 1 tablespoon table sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice or a low G.I. rice shopping list
- chopped peanuts or chopped coriander or both (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the wok or large frying pan over high heat, add the oil and when hot (not before), stir-fry the beef in two batches for 1–2 minutes until brown.
- Set the beef aside in a heatproof bowl.
- Stir-fry the onion for 2 minutes then add the curry paste and garlic and stir to combine.
- Pour in the coconut milk, stirring until the curry paste has dissolved and bring just to the boil.
- Add the pumpkin chunks, cover (with a lid or foil), reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10–12 minutes until the pumpkin is just tender (but not mushy).
- Meanwhile, cook the rice following the packet directions.
- Add the green beans and the cooked beef to the wok, and simmer for 2 minutes until everything is piping hot and the beans are tender-crisp.
- Add the fish sauce and sugar, a teaspoon of each at a time, to achieve a flavour balance you like.
- Spoon the rice onto four serving plates and top with the curried beef and a scattering of chopped peanuts or coriander for extra crunch and colour if you wish.
- Per serving (with rice and made with light and creamy evaporated coconut milk)