Chocolate Pistachio CookiesFrom peetabear 4 years ago
- • 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- • 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten shopping list
- • 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled shopping list
- • 4 ounces salted shelled pistachios (about 1 cup), ground to a paste in a food processor shopping list
- • 1 large egg white shopping list
- • 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- • Pinch of coarse salt shopping list
- • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- • 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening shopping list
- • For the garnish: slivered, unsalted, shelled pistachios (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Make filling: Bring 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved; set aside.
- Put egg yolks in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk by hand until yolks are warm to the touch, about 2 minutes. Fit mixer with the whisk attachment. Mix yolks on medium speed; pour in sugar syrup. Raise speed to high; mix until mixture is cool and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium; drizzle in melted chocolate. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.
- Make cookies: Put pistachio paste and rest of sugar in the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until smooth. Mix in the egg white, vanilla, and salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a small (about 1/4 inch) plain round tip (such as Ateco #10). Pipe 1-inch rounds onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake cookies until firm and golden around edges, about 10 minutes. Transfer on parchment to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Place cookies, bottom sides up, on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Spread 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons chocolate filling on bottom of half of the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies. Freeze 1 hour.
- Make glaze: Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add shortening; stir until combined. Let cool, stirring, until mixture is lukewarm.
- Using a chocolate fork or regular fork, hold 1 cookie at a time above bowl of chocolate glaze. Spoon glaze over cookie, letting excess drip back into bowl. Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Garnish with slivered pistachios. Refrigerate until set, 5 minutes. Cookies can be refrigerated in single layers in airtight containers up to 3 days.
- Helpful Hint Note:
- use pasteurized eggs, found in most grocery stores, for this recipe
- The yolks in the filling are not fully cooked; it should not be prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.
People Who Like This Dish 9
- minitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
- spinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
- wynnebaer Dunnellon, Florida
- quaziefly ALL POINTS
- michaelhrd West Warwick, RI
- crazeecndn Edmonton, CA
- gourmetana Aveiro, Portugal
- liezel Bloemfontein, ZA
- clbacon Birmingham, AL
- jeffsgirl Medford, OR
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating9 people
Peeta, how r u? I'm better now that I see 'this recipe in my future!! HIGH FIVE FORKS!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
This recipe is going to make my husband a very happy man...Thanks.wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
Wow this is great and sounds fantastic.
P.S. I flagged the photo and posted a commentspinach1948 in Dorchester-Boston loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!