Marble Angel Food CakeFrom hessen 7 years ago
- 11/2C egg whites (10-12 large) shopping list
- 11/2C sifted powdered sugar shopping list
- 1C sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2T unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 11/2t cream of tartar shopping list
- 1t vanilla shopping list
- 1C granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 recipe chocolate powder sugar icing (optional) ( see recipe below) shopping list
- sweentened whipped cream (optional) shopping list
- fresh fruit (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In an extra-large mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times. Measure 1 cup of the flour mixture; sift together with the cocoa powder. Set mixtures aside.
- Add cream of tartar and vanilla to the egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form ( tips stand straight). Transfer one-third of the mixture to another bowl.
- Sift about one-fourth of the plain flour mixture over the larger portion of beaten egg whites; genlty fold in. Repeat folding in the remaining plain flour mixture, using one-fourth of the flour mixture each time. Sift four-cocoa mixture, one- third at a time, over small portion of beaten egg whites, folding in as above.
- Gently spoon one-third of the white batter evenly in an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Spoon half of the chocolate batter over white batter in pan. Repeat. Top with remaining white batter. Marble the batter.
- Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan). Cool completely. Using a narrow metal spatula, loosen sides of cake from pan. Remove cake from pan. If desired, drizzle with chocolate powdered sugar icing and serve with sweentened whipped cream or fresh fruit.
- Powdered Sugar Icing: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk or juice. Stir in additional milk or juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing is easy to drizzle.
- Chocolate Powdered Sugar Icing: Prepare as above, except add 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder to powdered sugar. Do not use orange juice.
- Tip: To marble batter, using a folding motion, bring a narrow spatula down through batter and up other side. Go completely around pan, turning pan as you fold. Do not overfold.