Braised Short Ribs with PenneFrom asheats 4 years ago
- 4 pounds beef short ribs shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- ¼ cup olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped shopping list
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, drained shopping list
- ½ can tomato paste shopping list
- 1 cup red wine shopping list
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard shopping list
- 2 cups beef broth shopping list
- 1 pound penne shopping list
- ¼ cup fresh Parmesan shopping list
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Place an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the ribs, in batches, 8-10 minutes. Remove the ribs to a plate. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, add the garlic and rosemary and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the tomatoes, wine, and mustard; stir. Bring the mixture to a boil and scrape the bottom to loosen up the browned bits. Return the ribs to the pan, add the beef broth, and cover the pan then place in the oven for 2 ½ hours until the meat is fork tender. The meal can be made up to this point 1 day in advance; just let cool and refrigerate.
- Remove the ribs from the cooking liquid. Using a large spoon remove any excess fat from the surface of the cooking liquid. Using a ladle, transfer the cooking liquid to a food processor or blender (or use an immersion blender). Pour the sauce into a saucepan and keep warm over low heat. Remove the meat from the rib bones; discard the bones. Shred the meat into small pieces. Season, if necessary and add to the saucepan.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; add the penne and cook to al dente. Place penne in a serving bowl, add the meat and sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley just before serving. Serve with crusty bread.