Vegetable Beef Barley SoupFrom windy1950 6 years ago
- 2-3 tbsps olive oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs cubed boneless beef chuck roast shopping list
- 2-3 onions, roughly chopped shopping list
- 4-5 stalks celery, sliced shopping list
- 1 lb baby carrots shopping list
- 1 (46 oz) can V8 or tomato juice shopping list
- 1 (28 oz) can tomatoes diced or crushed shopping list
- 1 lb potatoes, unpared and diced shopping list
- 1 (14.5 oz) can green beans, undrained shopping list
- 1 (14.5 oz) can sweet whole kernel corn, undrained shopping list
- 3/4 cup Quaker Quick barley shopping list
- 1 qt water, 1 tbsp beef soup base dissolved in it shopping list
- 1 cup Burgundy, if desired shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- black pepper, to taste shopping list
- Coarse grind garlic, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat an 8-qt stockpot over medium heat. Add olive oil to the hot pot, then meat, onions and celery, seasoning lightly as you go. Brown meat in batches – if needed – to get a nice caramelization and thus some really great flavor.
- 2. When the meat is browned, add remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the canned veggies. Bring the pot to a boil, then adjust heat to medium low.
- 3. Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adjusting seasonings. This is a soup with quite a rich broth. Add the water/soup base liquid, as needed.
- 4. During the last half hour of cooking, add the Burgundy.
- 5. Serve with crackers, corn chips, cornbread, biscuits, or a good French baguette. Yeast dinner rolls ain’t half bad, either.
- ●If using canned goods containing salt in the liquid, be sure to adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- ●Chilies and thick stews are excellent served in bread “bowls”. Use a round hollowed out, 8- to 9-oz rye or pumpernickel loaf for each person if the soup is the main course, or a recipe of cornbread batter, divided into 4 individual serving size ovenproof baking dishes and baked and hollowed out. Otherwise for appetizers, use a biscuit dough recipe divided in 6 parts, shaped over the sprayed undersides of a jumbo muffin tin and baked for 10-12 minutes at 450F deg.