Bread pudding with caramelized pearsFrom nightkitchen 4 years ago
- 1 whole egg shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- ¼ c cream shopping list
- 1 ½ c whole or 2% milk shopping list
- 1/3 c white sugar shopping list
- ½ t cinnamon shopping list
- ¼ t freshly grated nutmeg (oh all right, from the jar is OK too) shopping list
- 1 t vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 c cubed good white bread shopping list
- 1 pear, sliced thinly (about 1/8”) shopping list
- 2 T butter shopping list
- 3 T light brown sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Mix the egg and egg yolk, add the white sugar and mix until smooth.
- Mix with the cream and milk.
- Add the spices and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour over the bread and let rest for at least 30 m.
- Set the butter in an ovenproof baking dish and let it melt while the oven preheats to 325°. When the butter is melted, distribute the brown sugar and place under top heat, at least 12” away, until the sugar bubbles.
- Lay the pear slices over this caramelized mixture so that the bottom and sides of the baking dish are lined.
- Pour the bread mixture into the baking dish and distribute so that the cubes are as submerged as possible. Bake at 325° for 20-30 m, or until a butter knife inserted 2” from the edge comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let it set another 20 m. Serve warm or cooled, good either way.