Paella SuperiorFrom foodiefreak 4 years ago
- 12 ounces chorizo, casing removed shopping list
- 12 live littleneck clams, rinsed shopping list
- 12 live mussels, cleaned and debearded shopping list
- 16 ounces shrimp, deveined and shelled (retain shells) shopping list
- 10 chicken drumsticks shopping list
- 16 ounces white fish (cod or halibut) shopping list
- 12 ounces pork, diced shopping list
- 12 ounces ham or beefsteak, diced shopping list
- 1 cup peas shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 10 cloves garlic, diced shopping list
- 12 ounces white or red kidney beans, cooked and drained shopping list
- 5 small tomatos, peeled and seeded shopping list
- 3 cups uncooked rice, (spanish, basmati or jasmine) shopping list
- 4 cups shrimp stock (made with shrimp shells) shopping list
- 4 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 bunch parsley shopping list
- 2 pinches saffron shopping list
- 2 lemons or limes (one juiced, one sliced for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Boil shrimp shells in 4 1/2 cups of water for approximately 20 minutes. Strain liquid to remove shells. Add saffron to stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Set aside and keep stock warm.
- Heat three tablespoons olive oil in paella pan or very large skillet to smoking point. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then add to skillet and cook until brown. Set chicken aside.
- Add one tablespoon of oil and all the garlic to the pan and saute 3 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until the vegetables sweat and start to brown.
- Add chorizo and cook for 5 minutes, breaking down large pieces as it cooks. Add pork and ham and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add rice and combine thoroughly. Cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatos and artichoke hearts, making sure all ingredients are well mixed together.
- Add four cups shrimp stock and two cups chicken stock to the pan, stirring to blend all ingredients. This is the last time the rice will be stirred. Boil hard for five minutes and simmer for 15 more. Add more stock if needed to make sure rice cooks but is not soupy.
- Bury chicken drumsticks and white fish evenly throughout pan and add clams on top. Cover and let simmer for five minutes, until clams open.
- Add peas, mussels and shrimp. Cover and cook for five to seven minutes until mussels open and shrimp are pink.
- Increase heat for a few minutes until the bottom of the dish is crackling, forming a crispy skin on the bottom. Remove pan from heat.
- Squeeze the juice of one lime over the top of the dish.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately with lime wedges.
The Cookfoodiefreak San Antonio, TX
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!