Bread StuffingFrom windy1950 7 years ago
- 2 (4 oz) sticks butter shopping list
- 1 cup chopped celery, with leaves shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 (24 oz) loaf bread, torn in 1/2" pieces shopping list
- 2 tsps salt shopping list
- 2 tsps poultry seasoning shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1 qt chicken broth shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion and cook until onion is yellow. Remove from heat.
- 2. Place bread and seasonings in an extra large mixing bowl. Toss vegetables and butter with ingredients in bowl.
- 3. a) Use to stuff poultry and bake the remainder in a greased, covered casserole the last hour while the bird roasts, basting the casserole occasionally with chicken broth; or
- b) bake the entire stuffing recipe in a greased, covered casserole the last hour while the bird roasts, basting with a little broth if necessary to prevent drying; or
- c) bake the entire stuffing recipe in a slow cooker on low heat for the entire bird roasting time, again basting with some broth now and then.
- NOTE: Not all of the chicken broth will be used for basting the stuffing. Leftover broth will be added into the roasting pan along with giblet cooking liquid to make gravy.
- ● Cornbread Stuffing - Substitute a recipe of GOLDEN CORNBREAD and 5 or 6 crumbled biscuits for the soft bread cubes.
- ● Sausage & Mushroom Stuffing - Crumble a 1/2 pound of lean pork or turkey sausage into large skillet and brown. Reduce butter to 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) and include 8 oz fresh or one large can of WELL drained, sliced mushrooms when cooking celery and onion.
- ● Oyster Stuffing - In Step 1, add into the skillet about 3 cups well-drained and chopped, canned oysters (reserve liquid for basting), and cook with the veggies.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookwindy1950 Flint, MI
The Rating4 people
Tasty!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Nice....I've never made 'bread dressin', but this does sound good...I've converted this NJ family over to cornbread dressing...lol! ^5 and thanks for sharing!debbie919 in Manahawkin loved it