Banana Nut Bread Baked in a JarFrom coffeebean53 5 years ago
- 2/3 cup shortening shopping list
- 2 2/3 cups white sugar shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 2 cups mashed bananas shopping list
- 2/3 cup water shopping list
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease insides of 8 (1 pint) straight sided, wide mouth canning jars.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, bananas, and water. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to banana mixture. Stir in nuts.
- 3. Pour mixture into greased WIDE MOUTH pint jars, filling 1/2 full of batter. Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.
- 4. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.
- 5. As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
- 6. Jars should be eaten immediately or kept sealed in refrigerator for up to a week.