Bbq Corned Beef With Cooked Cabbage And Root VegetablesFrom thepoint 6 years ago
- 2 corned beef briskets, about 4 pounds each shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, whole peeled shopping list
- 3 whole cloves shopping list
- 24 ounces stout beer shopping list
- 2 seasoning packets from corned beef shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 8 peppercorns shopping list
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled shopping list
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced shopping list
- Glazing Sauce: shopping list
- 1/2 cup ketchup shopping list
- 1/2 cup Jack Daniels, or your favorite whiskey or sour mash shopping list
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar shopping list
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes shopping list
- Vegetables: shopping list
- 1 large head cabbage shopping list
- 6 large potatoes shopping list
- 6 turnips shopping list
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into chunks shopping list
- 1 pound carrots, peeled (less the two above) shopping list
How to make it
- Wash briskets. Make small X slits in the meat and insert garlic and cloves pieces. Place the meat into a stockpot (at least 8 quarts). Add beer and enough water to cover. Add contents of seasoning packets that come with the corned beef, bay leaves, peppercorns, Old Bay, 2 carrots and sliced celery. Bring to a boil, skim off foam and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 3-4 hours, until meat is fork tender.
- This can be done the day before and stored in the refrigerator overnight. If you choose to do this, keep the meat in the liquid. The next day, bring it to a simmer and continue on with the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 450F; line a baking sheet with foil, top with a rack, and coat with nonstick spray. Transfer the cooked briskets to the prepared rack, fat side up. Use a knife to trim off the fat -- it will be soft and easy to remove.
- Whisk together Glazing Sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Spoon glaze onto beef, then roast for 10 minutes, or until the glaze is dark and sticky. Remove from oven and let meat rest for 15 minutes. Transfer meat to a cutting board, then thinly slice against the grain.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Cut the cabbage in 8 wedges, peel potatoes, turnips, onion and remaining carrots. Slice vegetables into 1 inch chunks. When briskets are finished boiling and removed from the broth, strain the broth into a large pot or dish. Put uncooked vegetables (except cabbage) into pot with enough broth to cover. When root vegetable start to get a little tender, add the cabbage and continue cooking until all are done. Drain vegetables and serve with sliced corned beef; serve yellow mustard on the side.
- Cooked by Art and served on St. Patricks Day, 2007, and planned for 2010.
The Cookthepoint Hagerstown, MD
- Not added to any groups yet!