Cozonac Romanian Holiday Fruit BreadFrom oliviagoddess 7 years ago
- 2 1/2 tablespoons + 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup +1/2 cup + 1/4 cup milk shopping list
- 1 package active dry yeast shopping list
- 4 large egg yolks shopping list
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar shopping list
- 4 ounces golden raisins soaked overnight in dark rum shopping list
- Zest of 1 lemon shopping list
- 4 ounces melted butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dark rum shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 tablespoon canola oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Scald 1/2 cup milk and stir in 2 1/2 tablespoons flour until smooth. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Heat another 1/2 cup milk just until lukewarm. Do not scald. Place yeast in a small bowl and pour lukewarm milk over, stirring until dissolved. Add yeast mixture to flour paste and beat until large air bubbles appear. Cover and let rise at least 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup milk to lukewarm. Do not overheat. Pour into a warmed large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Add, stirring after each ingredient, the egg yolks, sugar, raisins, zest, yeast mixture and flour. Knead about 10 minutes by machine or 15-20 minutes with buttered hands while still in the bowl, adding butter as necessary to achieve a nonsticky, pliable, moist ball of dough. It will probably take about 3 ounces of butter. Save the rest.
- Add rum, vanilla and oil and knead another 2-3 minutes. Cover bowl with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled. Punch down and with hands dipped in some of the reserved melted butter, knead another 5-10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10- to 12-inch round pan that is at least 3 inches deep with cooking spray. Using buttered hands, twist the dough and place in the pan. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until dough reaches the top of the pan.
- Mix 1 large egg yolk with 1 tablespoon cold water and brush top of dough. Sprinkle walnuts and a few raisins on the dough, if desired. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick tests clean or an instant-read thermometer registers 190 degrees.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar and cool.