Meat Samosas aka The African HamburgerFrom choclytcandy 4 years ago
- 2 cups flour and 1 tbs shopping list
- 1 lb cooked meat (beef or lamb), ground or finely minced shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, mashed shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp mint leaves, dried shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ginger shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cloves shopping list
- 1/4 tsp chili powder shopping list
- 4 tbs lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- In a 1-quart bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sifted with enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Knead until smooth and divide in 4 parts.
- Roll each piece into a circle 4-inches in diameter on a board.
- Brush each with cooking oil. Sprinkle evenly with flour. Place the circles on top of each other with floured sides facing.
- Gently roll pile of circles into large circles 8-9 inches in diameter. (Note: at beginning pastry should be turned over while rolling to make all circles same size.) On iron grill or flat Teflon pan: Fry pastry on both sides without browning it (about 2 minutes on each side). (Large and small bubbles will swell up pastry indicating when done.) Cool slightly.
- Cut pastry in three uniform strips and peel off pieces. There are now twelve strips.
- In a 1-quart saucepan:
- Combine beef, garlic,, salt, mint leaves, cinnamon, onions, ginger, cloves, chili powder and lemon juice.
- Cook mixture for 10-minutes stirring constantly. Cool. Make a cone at one end of the pastry strip.
- Hold the cone in left hand and fill with mixture. Turn the flap over to form a three-cornered pastry.
- Seal the edge with a paste made with 1 tbs flour and 1 tbs water.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Deep fry at 375 degrees until golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges while still hot.
- Note: as an adaptation, you can make Samosas with pie crust. Purchase the packaged mix and bake the Samosas. Or in making your own pie crust and cut down on shortening by half for deep frying.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating5 people
fantastic luv this one high5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
I will have to make this!a1patti in Salem loved it
These sound wonderful!! thank you!!!(and much better than hamburgers)ttaaccoo in Buffalo loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!