Apple Boysenberry CakeFrom chefmeow 4 years ago
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened boysenberries shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup brandy shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 4-1/2 pounds golden delicious apples peeled cored and cut into 12 wedges shopping list
- 13 ounce sponge cake shopping list
- 2 cups sliced almonds toasted shopping list
- 12 soft almond macaroons finely crumbled shopping list
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled shopping list
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves shopping list
- 2 tablespoons brandy shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups chilled whipping cream shopping list
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar shopping list
- Additional toasted sliced almonds shopping list
How to make it
- Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy large saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and syrup comes to simmer.
- Using slotted spoon transfer berries to small bowl.
- Add half of apple slices to simmering syrup and cook 12 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon transfer apples to sieve set over large bowl.
- Press apples to extract excess syrup then reserve syrup.
- Transfer apples to another bowl and repeat cooking and draining with remaining apples.
- Return berries and drained syrup to same saucepan.
- Boil syrup until thickened and reduced to 1-2/3 cups about 5 minutes.
- Transfer boysenberry sauce to small bowl then cover and refrigerate.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 then coat spring form with butter.
- Crumble cake onto baking sheet then bake 15 minutes and cool but maintain oven temperature.
- Finely grind crumbled cake in processor then sprinkle 1/3 of cake crumbs in bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle 2/3 cup almonds over top then sprinkle 1/3 of macaroons over then half the apple slices.
- Mix apricot preserves and brandy in small bowl then spread half of apricot mixture over apples.
- Repeat layering with half of remaining crumbs, almonds, macaroons and butter.
- Press top firmly to compact cake then place cake on baking sheet.
- Bake 45 minutes until top is golden covering loosely with foil for last 15 minutes.
- Transfer cake to rack then press top firmly to compact cake.
- Cool cake in pan on rack then cover and chill overnight.
- Run small sharp knife around sides of pan to loosen cake then release pan sides.
- Whip cream and 3 tablespoons sugar to firm peaks then spread over top and sides of cake.
- Press additional almond slices onto sides of cake then refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Cut cake into wedges then spoon reserved boysenberry sauce over top.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!