Ham And Potatoes Au GratinFrom stalwart 6 years ago
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed shopping list
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (approximately 9 med. potatoes) shopping list
- 1 medium to large onion, finely chopped or thinly sliced shopping list
- 2-1/2 cups homogenized milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter shopping list
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 12 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded shopping list
- 2 tablespoons spicy golden mustard shopping list
- 1 teaspoon paprika shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease a 3 quart casserole or baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 sliced potatoes, 1/3 chopped ham, 1/3 onions in the casserole.
- Repeat layers, ending with sliced potatoes on top.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, warm milk but do not boil.
- In a separate sauce pan melt butter and slowly stir in flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add warmed milk to the butter and flour mixture and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes while continuing to stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in shredded cheese, mustard, paprika, and black pepper.
- Return to low heat if cheese does not melt.
- Pour cheese sauce over layered potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour and 20 minutes OR until potatoes are soft and top layer is golden brown.
The Cookstalwart Tulsa, OK
The Rating2 people
This sounds great! I actually printed a recipe yesterday for almost the same recipe. Pretty much the only difference is using non dairy creamer and water instead of the milk. It won't curdle. Thanks for the post!maureenlaw in ST LOUIS loved it