Omas RouladenFrom cdntestergal 3 years ago
- 6 beef hip steaks shopping list
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard, (or any good robust mustard of your likeing) shopping list
- 1 large dill pickle (or 2 smaller ones), sliced into 6 wedges shopping list
- 3 slices bacon, halved (turkey bacon can be substituted but isn't quite as good) shopping list
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 cups V8 or tomato juice shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg.F with the rack in the center of the oven.
- Place the steaks between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound gently to a uniform thickness, (about 1/8" thick)
- Smear a dollop of the mustard down the center of the steak.
- Place a piece of the bacon onto the mustard in the same direction (from top to bottom of the steak).
- Across the top of the steak place a pickle wedge and a few pieces of the sliced onion.
- Add a few grinds of salt and pepper.
- Roll the steak from the top to the bottom like a jelly roll.
- If needed secure the roll with a toothpick or tie with a string.
- Place completed rolls into a casserole with a lid.
- Pour over the V8 or tomato juice to cover the meat, cover and braise in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the meat is done.
- Allow the dish to rest for about 5 minutes before removing the toothpicks or string from the meat.
- You can now transfer the leftover juice in the casserole to a saucepan and simmer to reduce to a gravy like consistancy.
- Serve over buttered noodles, or mashed potatoes.
- A light salad would complete this meal.