Rare Prime Rib RecipeFrom laidback2010 6 years ago
How to make it
- 1. Remove roast from the refrigerator ast least two hours before beginning to cook. Place in a shallow roasting pan and liberally sprinkle fatty top with salt and pepper. Pat in. To protect the oven from spattering fat, place a tent of aluminum foil loosely over the top of the meat. Preheat the oven to 500*F and when preheated place roast in oven and roast for the times listed below. THE TIMES MUST ABE ADHERED TO EXACTLY. Set a timer to remind you as a few minutes of overcooking will ruin the roast.
- 2. When the cooking time ends, turn off the oven but DO NOT open the door. Allow the roast to remain in the oven for at least 1 hour or until the oven is luke warm, which occurs in about 2 hours. The roast will be beautifully rare inside and retain a crunchy outside and an internal heat suitable for serving for 2 hours. The roasting time works out to 15 minutes per rib or approximately 5 minutes per pound.
- 1. For a 2 rib roast weighing 41/2 -5 lbs. allow 25 to 30 minutes at 500*F
- 2. For a 3 rib roast weighing 8-9 lbs. allow 40-45 minutes at 500*F
- 3. For a 4 rib roast weighing 11-12 lbs. allow 55-60 minutes at 500*F
- 4. Have your butcher prepare the roast by removing the chine bone and cutting the meat from the bones. Then return the chine bone and the meat to its original shape and tie the roast to hold it together. This will facilitate your carving.
- 5. A small end Prime rib is always the best.