Cruste Rolle or Fried Dough with SaffronFrom deliathecrone 6 years ago
How to make it
- Mix the flour, eggs and saffron together in a bowl.
- Knead the dough on a lightly-floured board until the dough is smooth and elastic. Your kneading will release the glutens necessary for this to happen.
- Roll out the dough, one third at a time, on the floured surface.
- Roll the dough as thin as possible. You could use a pasta machine to get it really thin, if you have one. If the dough isn't thin enough, the finished product will be soggy inside.
- Cut the dough with a 4-inch cutter and remove the dough pieces to a floured plate. Use up all the dough.
- Heat the oil VERY HOT in a frying pan. If the oil smokes, reduce the heat a little.
- Fry the dough pieces in the hot oil in a single layer, until the edges turn golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Flip the dough and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, until golden.
- Remove the fried dough from the pan with a slotted spoon or tongs and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- You could sprinkle sugar on them while they are still a little warm, if you wish, but you should taste them first, to see if your taste buds will demand the sweetening.
- This recipe will make about 20 pieces, enough to appease 4 hungry mouths.