Any-Fruit Coffee CakeFrom nancerose 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled apples, apricots, peaches, or pineapple; or 1 1/2 cups blueberries or raspberries shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 tbsp cornstarch shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 6 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 beaten egg shopping list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour shopping list
How to make it
- In a saucepan combine choice of fruit. and 1/4 cup water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- (Do not simmer raspberries.)
- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or till tender. Combine 1/4 cup of the sugar and the cornstarch. Stir into fruit mixture. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl stir together 1/2 cup of the sugar, the 1 1/2 cups flour the baking powder, and baking soda. Add 4 tbsp till it is mixed. Combine egg, buttermilk, or sour milk, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture. Stir just till moistened. Spread half of the batter in an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan. Spread fruit mixture over batter. Drop remaining batter in small mounds atop filling.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the 1/4 cup flour. Add remaining 2 tbsp oil and mix. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till golden brown. Serve warm.
- Makes 9 servings
- Rhubarb-Strawberry Coffee Cake:
- Prepare as above, except substitute 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cup-up rhubarb and 3/4 cup frozen unsweetened whole strawberries for the fruit.
The Cooknancerose Longlac, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!