Persian Beef-And-Splitpea StewFrom darbar 9 years ago
- 4 medium onions, chopped (about 4 cups) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck, cut into ¾-inch cubes shopping list
- ½ teaspoon crumbled saffron threads shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 1/2 cup dried yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed shopping list
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (preferably Turkish) shopping list
- 2 dried Omani lemons (optional), pierced in several places with a small sharp knife shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh key lime or lemon juice shopping list
- Accompaniments: cooked basmati rice; radishes; fresh mint and basil leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Cook onions in oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pat meat dry and toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Increase heat to high, then add meat, saffron, and turmeric to onions and cook, stirring frequently, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in water and tomatoes, then simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Stir in split peas, tomato paste, Omani lemons (if using), cinnamon, allspice, and ½ teaspoon pepper and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until meat is very tender, 1 to 1½ hours more. Discard Omani lemons and stir in salt and Key lime juice to taste.