Peppery Three-bean SoupFrom jo_jo_ba 5 years ago
- 4 oz dried dark red kidney beans shopping list
- 4 oz dried adzuki beans shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 cups carrots, chopped shopping list
- 2 cups celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 cubanelle pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 medium fresh tomato, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp paprika shopping list
- 6 cups vegetable broth shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 29 oz canned diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 lb fresh or frozen green beans shopping list
- 1 cup Golden Jewel grains blend (I found this at Bulk Barn - it's a mixture of Israeli couscous, coloured orzo, split garbanzo beans and quinoa - feel free to substitute your favourite mix) shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Combine dried beans in a jar or other container. Cover with water and soak overnight (up to 2 days) See Photo. Drain and rinse thoroughly, set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and saute over medium-high heat until browned.
- Add garlic, carrots, celery and all the peppers, stirring well.
- Cook 7-8 minutes, until the vegetables have begun to soften.
- Stir in the chopped fresh tomato, sprinkle with black pepper and paprika and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in broth, water, and canned tomatoes, then stir in beans, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 4 hours, until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Add green beans, grain blend and salt, increase heat and cook until grains are cooked, about 15 minutes. See Photo
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
Foodies That Follow WWs48 members
Growing Your Own Herbs Vegetables385 members
Comfort Foods771 members
Food Blogs60 members
Whole Foods142 members
Dairy Free110 members
The Art Of Healthy Living58 members
FROM SCRATCH146 members
The Cooking Guild9 members
Eat Those Veggies85 members