Blueberry-citrus PieFrom jo_jo_ba 5 years ago
- 3/4 cups flour, plus extra for rolling shopping list
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance "Buttery Sticks", cold and cubed shopping list
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening shopping list
- 3 tbsp cold, fresh orange juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp cold, fresh lime juice shopping list
- 4 cups blueberries shopping list
- 1 tbsp water shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 tbsp cornstarch shopping list
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour (not granules) shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice shopping list
- 1 tsp grated orange zest shopping list
- 1/2 tsp grated lime zest shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp cold water shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl combine flours, whisking well.
- Cut in the Earth Balance and shortening until a coarse-meal texture forms.
- Add orange and lime juices and gently mix to form a flaky pastry dough.
- Divide into two portions - one 1/3 of the mixture, the other 2/3 of the dough.
- Wrap dough pieces in cling wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- Roll out the larger portion of dough, fit it into a 9" pie plate and set into the refrigerator while preparing filling.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and place the oven rack in the lowest position.
- Combine 1 cup of blueberries, water and the sugar in a small pot and place over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is melted - 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, tapioca flour and orange juice.
- Stir starch mixture into the cooking berries and cook gently until the mixture thickens and turns clear.
- Remove from heat and stir in the zests and nutmeg, then fold in remaining berries and pour into the pie shell.
- Roll out remaining pastry and cut strips from it.
- Brush edges of dough with the cornstarch mixture.
- Weave a lattice pattern with the pastry strips on top of the mixture and brush with remaining cornstarch mixture.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Reduce temperature to 375F.
- Bake 40-45 minutes. Cool completely (minimum 12 hours) before cutting.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
The Rating1 people
this was as delicious as it lookedBanannieSplit in Pasadena loved it