Yemista - Vegetables Filled With RiceFrom MariontheChef 6 years ago
- 5 tomatoes shopping list
- 4 green peppers (or any other colour for that matter) shopping list
- 4 eggplants shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup rice shopping list
- 1 big onion shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 2/3 cup parsley shopping list
- 2 tablespoons spearmint shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and drain well the tomatoes, eggplants and green peppers.
- Slice horizontally the bottom of each tomato and with a teaspoon remove carefully the inside.
- In the same manner, cut the top of each green pepper and remove its seeds. (Remember to keep the sliced tops)
- With a knife press the surface of each eggplant until you draw a line carving from top to bottom.
- Remove the inside carefully as with the tomatoes.
- Place the tomatoes' insides in a colander with a small pan underneath and squeeze them.
- Keep the tomato juice that drains in the small pan for later.
- Mix the tomatoes' insides from the colander with some of their juice and the tomato paste lightly, and keep them for the filling.
- Chop the onion and saute it in half the olive oil in a pot.
- Add the rice and stir it 2-3 times.
- Add the tomato mix, parsley, mint, salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heater and place the hollow vegetables on a pan.
- Fill the vegetables with the rice mixture up to 3/4, starting with the green peppers and eggplants and leaving the tomatoes last, so that the mixture doesn't end up too juicy.
- Place the sliced tops of the vegetables on top of them, sort of like lids.
- Pour the remaining tomato juice from the small pan on top of the filled vegetables.
- Finally pour the remaining olive oil tablespoon by tablespoon on top of each vegetable respectively.
- Bake the food at 360 degrees F (180 degrees C) for about 2 hours.
- (You can add water if necessary during the baking process).
- It is also possible to add Feta cheese in the filling mixture.
The CookMariontheChef Athens, Greece
- Not added to any groups yet!